Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Black people" in Japan

Living in Japan, you might end up with your life without actually meeting "black" people.
Almost all the information about them comes from TV and movies etc.. Nowadays, Bobby, Bob Sapp and Billy Blanks are famous figures in Japan. The followings are the figures who have come across me in my life on TV, movies, etc.

Abebe Bikila a two-time Olympic marathon champion from Ethiopia---for some reason I remember him. Probably I saw some video on TV later than actual Olympic.

The story of little black sambo
(pros and cons about
The story of little black sambo(Japanese))

Ozuma a character in Star of Giants who was trained to be like a machine for baseball like the protagonist Hyuma.

Sammy Davis, Jr. was on the commercial (Japanese)------"Hmmmmm, Suntory!!!" was cool.

Immanuel(?)l boy was again on the TV commercial for Suntory.

Abdulaza(?) the butcher a professional wrestler.

Wicky-san , who used to interview with Japanese on the street in English on TV show to teach English

Martin Luther King, "I have a dream" ----pretty impressive.

Naomi Campbell I think she was on commercial too.

Joyner Olympic athlete

Willie Williams Karate player. He is tough.

Cromartie. a popular baseball player. He came back to Japan this year as a professional wrestler.

Ousmane Sankhon gajin tarent Sankhon with other gaitare

Black people on the TV show "this is weird, Japanese" defending Japan against Korea.

etc, .................


Eddie Murphy's 48 Hrs. Trading Places Beverly Hills Cop The Golden Child Beverly Hills Cop.Coming to America.

Lilies of the Field

Denzel Washington..................

And some Jazz players, Gospel singers, Rappers have "impacts" on some Japanese.

Shanels
was popular Japanese group singers disguised as black people.
I am not sure if Ganguro was trying to imitate black people, but Afro hair style was once popular in Japan.


I know some black people get discrimination in Japan because I know a black person who are married to Japanese woman says so.

ViolentAJ: "There is no real discrimination unless you are Korean or Black, maybe a bit against Chinese and Southeast Asians."

Dude. I don't know how long you spent in Japan, but white get the "warewarenihonjin", too. Not nearly as badly as black/extra-japanese-asian/etc., but it's still bad enough.

Posted by: James at March 1, 2007 06:59 AM

Nope. Blacks get at the most. All other races can get along except for Blacks. FACT.

Now I have no gripe against a man that does as he's told. But when he doesn't, the machine breaks down. When the machine breaks down, we break down.

"Killin'? What'dyou boys know about killin'?"

Posted by: ViolentAJ at March 1, 2007 02:21 PM

Hilarious. I'd say this was your best in a while.

Posted by: FatFree at March 1, 2007 09:45 PM

"All other races can get along except for Blacks. FACT."

No, you've been misinformed. It sucks for everyone, though as I said, it's worse for some. And it's exacerbated when you can't speak Japanese.

Posted by: James at March 2, 2007 10:43 AM

James, James, James. Use your supposed higher intelligence to figure it out for yourself.

Hint: You have 50 girlfriends simultaneously, while I am the first and only Black man to marry a Japanese woman (and her parents disPwned her).

Posted by: ViolentAJ at March 3, 2007 02:21 PMcomment section /Gaijin smash

(Hey I don't have any girlfriend, Does that mean Japanese are discriminated?)
comment section
see also Bobby/Gaijin smash

I don't know what it is like to live as a black person in the U.S.( I remember a black student in the class in the U.S. who said "others will never understand what it is like to be African American")
I know to some extent what it is like to live as a minority because I have lived in the U.S.

I don't know what prejudice, stereotype "white people" have against "black people"
I don't know what prejudice "black people" have about the prejudice people have toward "black people".
(My prejudice was that "black people" were inherently physically strong, cut out for an athlete---you can see how this stereotype was formed from my record of the encounter with "black people"---I corrected this stereotype when I saw some "black people" could not swim in the swimming pool.)

I know some Japanese politicians made some stupid racial statements against African-American people. (See the discussion on "the story of Sambo")
I don't know how they got the idea.

Japan has had the problem of discrimination against Koreans and Burakumin.
But the history of discrimination and struggle against it is different from that against black people in the U.S.

I know some kind of education is desperately in need in Japan to form the attitude against racism.


I might be wrong , but sometimes I feel some people bring in their heavy and complex bias and project it into Japanese society.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
for black people you can use

http://jblackgle.blogspot.com

Save the earth with the energy saving search engine.

:)

zero said...

Thanks
But how do I use that?
and what for?